About the job:
We make Octopus Deploy.
We simplify complex software deployments so our customers can focus on what they do best and ship software on time without unwanted disruptions or surprises.
🐙235,000+ people use Octopus Deploy.
🐙600,000+ virtual machines run our Tentacle agent.
🐙300,000,000+ deployments to date.
🐙90% of support emails answered in 2 hours or less.
🐙Over 3,500 organisations use Octopus Deploy (curious? check this out)
Octopus Deploy is one of Australia’s fastest-growing software companies (and we’re taking on the world). After bootstrapping for a decade, in 2021, we quietly raised Australia's second largest ever venture capital raise, accepting a USD 172M minority investment from Insight Partners.
In this Build Platform team Site Reliability Engineer role, you will significantly impact the developer experience, enabling developers across our R&D teams to ship scalable applications with high speed, quality, and performance. If platform and build infrastructure excite you, this is your role.
This remote-first role requires full working rights and residency in Australia or New Zealand.
Engineer: $110-130k AUD + Stock Options
Senior Engineer: $140-160k AUD + Stock Options
Key Technologies: Azure (AKS, SQL, Storage Accounts), Kubernetes.
Tools: TeamCity, SEQ, Sumo, Honeycomb, GitHub, Terraform, GitHub Actions, Artifactory,
A typical day might include:
- Working where you work best, in a home office designed by you, using a device of your choosing, with or without music, in an atmosphere you create for yourself.
- Changing source code hosted in GitHub, often in the open, collaborating on a pull request, then shipping a change to the platform via an automated build, test, and delivery pipeline, often multiple times a day.
- Handling a request from an internal team, helping solve a challenging build, test or packaging issue, or offering advice to an engineer to help them fall into the pit of success.
- Pairing with another engineer on a Zoom call to solve a complex technical problem or explore and define the problem space for future innovation.
- Fixing a bug (with an accompanying unit test!) and then using our observability tooling to ensure it worked in production
- Creating and maintaining infrastructure using a code-first approach
- Responding to an actionable alert and working to maintain the reliability of the platform used across the company
- Improving our documentation to help engineers discover solutions for themselves and reduce lead time.
- Writing a blog post about something interesting for other engineers or preparing a presentation on what was learned from a recent incident.
You will be a great fit for this role if:
- You have a firm grasp of the software trade using any language or toolset. C# would be helpful, but not required
- You are comfortable making good decisions with general concepts like availability, reliability, and observability, and perhaps you are a specialist in a specific area of systems engineering.
- You find lessons from other industries’ safety cultures to be interesting and relevant to your work.
- You are equally comfortable leading a postmortem as you are designing a deployment and monitoring pipeline.
- You enjoy automating builds, tests, deployments, infrastructure, and operational tasks.
- You enjoy working in a "you built it, you run it" culture, where teams take pride in the quality of their work and the availability of their systems, with many people joining our humane on-call program.
- You can work independently, motivating yourself to do high-quality work on time and communicating with your teammates when you need help or are ready for something new.
- You enjoy collaborating with other people to solve problems, challenging each other to discover the best solution for a problem using a balance of passion, pragmatism, and empathy.
- You are a results-oriented person, focused on iteratively delivering valuable things to your customers, willingly changing direction based on clear and transparent business information, and someone who helps others do the same.
- You enjoy being a force-multiplier for other engineers
You'll Enjoy This Role If:
- You are a valuable individual contributor looking to expand your horizons with a world-class software company.
- You like a balance of freedom and responsibility, being treated as an adult.
- You want to do the best work of your life with other like-minded people.
- You enthusiastically accept radically candid feedback, feedback that is thoughtful, timely, and directly actionable, and offer the same benefit to others.
- You enjoy solving complex distributed computing, automation, security, performance, and usability problems.
- You like working with great tools like the latest versions of C#, .NET, Terraform, in the development environment of your choice. You’re also not afraid to take on a challenge in a new language.
- You like working with engineers directly, helping them be successful with their tasks, even if success proves to be elusive.
- You enjoy doing things the right way from the very beginning knowing you are working on a valuable asset.
Why Is This A Great Opportunity?
- We offer great benefits, including generous laptop and home office allowances, plus stock options!
- Annual leave of 25 x days.
- Parents receive 12 weeks of fully Paid Parental Leave.
- We value transparency and fairness in every aspect of our business. For example, Paul (our CEO) shares monthly updates on company performance, and our pay structures are designed to pass the ‘printer test’.
- Trust and autonomy. Octonauts are treated like adults, and are trusted to find the best way of working for the task at hand, without managers looking over their shoulder.
- You’ll be joining a high-growth company with numerous opportunities to learn and advance your career.
- Remote first: work from wherever you feel most productive.
- We are a supportive company where everyone’s contribution is valued.
- We respect and encourage work/life balance.
- We’ve built an inclusive workplace culture and understand the importance of culture-add versus culture-fit.
- From day 1, you'll have a buddy helping you get your bearings. You can book coffee chats with anyone in the company. We encourage everyone to have a voice in all product and business aspects. So much so that we have an open chat policy (all channels are public by default), and everyone is welcome!
- If you need assistance or accommodation during the application process because of disability, please let us know, and we’ll try our best to accommodate.
- Also, when it comes to inclusivity, we mean it. Check out our handbook!
- If you’d like to work at Octopus, reach out and say hello!
How To Apply:
- You must have unrestricted and ongoing work rights in Australia or New Zealand to apply for this opportunity.
- Submit a CV - your LinkedIn profile is also acceptable as long as it contains enough information for us to assess your fit for the role.
- We welcome any other relevant documents or portfolios necessary to showcase your skills and why you think you’d be a great fit at Octopus.
[Note to Search Firms/Agencies]
Octopus Deploy does not compensate search firms for unsolicited assistance unless they have a written search agreement with Octopus Deploy and the requisition is position-specific. Any resumes, curriculum vitae and other unsolicited assistance from search firms that do not have a written search agreement or position-specific requisition submitted to any Associate of Octopus Deploy will be deemed the sole property of Octopus Deploy and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Octopus Deploy.
$90K - $160K USD/Year *$90000 — $160000/Year
DevOps and Sysadmin