About the job:
About the job
We are looking for a frontend software engineer to help build out a world-class travel booking portal for APAC users as part of our Hopper Technology Solutions group.
You will work as part of a cross-functional team of exceptional engineers, designers and product managers to bring new features to market and provide best in class support for our partners to scale our joint business.
A successful candidate loves to build and demonstrates high ownership about outcomes, and constantly looks for and finds creative ways to deliver quality results quickly.
They can distinguish between what has to be right from the start and what what can be iterated on.
Our backend systems are written in Scala, and we use a suite of GCP services.
Our frontends are web apps using React, Typescript, Redux Sagas and XState
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Design, build and review code for the portals
- Operate autonomously but work closely with your fellow engineers as well as designer/PM to ensure high alignment
- Explore engineering improvements for the team and the product
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the product team and other Hopper teams
- Our group operates with very few meetings and emphasizes strong alignment and asynchronous decision making.
An ideal candidate has:
- The ability to effectively drive towards a solution in a thoughtful and creative manner.
- Expert-level experience & familiarity with React
- The ability to iterate on solutions and manage different contexts
- Dealt with ambiguity and can balance building out multiple features at once without jeopardizing the quality of the code
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary, and the upsides of a pre-IPO equity package
- Generous monthly cash allowance for private healthcare (Medical, Dental, Vision, disability & life)
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the leading travel platform globally – powering Hopper’s mobile app, website and our B2B business, HTS (Hopper Technology Solutions). By leveraging massive amounts of data and advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to bring transparency, flexibility and savings to travelers globally. We have developed several unique fintech solutions that address everything from pricing volatility to trip disruptions – helping people travel better and save more on their trips.
The Hopper platform serves hundreds of millions of travelers globally and continues to capture market share around the world. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the Hopper app has been downloaded over 120 million times and has become largely popular among younger travelers – with 70% of its users being Gen Z and millennials.
While everyone knows us as the Gen Z and Millennial travel app, Hopper has evolved to become much more than that. In recent years, we’ve grown into a global travel agency and travel fintech provider that powers some of the world’s largest brands.
Through HTS, our B2B division, the company supercharges its partners’ direct channels by integrating our fintech products on their sites or powering end-to-end travel portals. Today, our partners include leading travel brands like Capital One, Nubank, Air Canada and many more.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
Comment start Hopper sells billion Comment end s worth of travel and travel fintech every year. In 2023, over 1.3 billion trips were planned through the Hopper app and our HTS partnerships.
Our fintech products – including Price Freeze, Flexibility for Any Reason and Flight Disruption Assistance – have exceptionally strong CSAT because the terms are always clear, and customers receive instant, no-questions-asked resolutions.
Almost 30% of our app customers purchase at least one fintech product when making a booking; and consumers are 1.6x more likely to repurchase if they add fintech to their booking vs if they booked just travel.
Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative, HTS (Hopper Technology Solutions), which represents more than 50% of the business.
Through HTS, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory on their direct channels. As its first HTS partnership, the company partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders. Other HTS partners include Air Canada, Uber, CommBank, Nubank, Flair Airlines with many more in the pipeline.
Featured in Apple’s Best of the App Store list of Essential Travel Apps in 2023 and recognized by the likes of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Hopper has been downloaded over 120 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month. Hopper is now the #3 largest online travel agency in North America and 70% of our app customers are Gen-Z and millennials travelers.
Hopper has raised over $750 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!
$90K - $140K USD/Year *$90000 — $140000/Year