About the job:
It’s an amazing time to be joining Netflix as we continue to transform entertainment. We deliver billions of hours of movies and TV shows per month to more than 230 million members in over 190 countries. At Netflix, we want to entertain the world. To achieve this, we must be able to rapidly build and ship innovative experiences for our members and creators all around the globe.
At Netflix, we practice full-cycle development where developers own and operate what they build. We scale this model by investing heavily in developer tooling to simplify and automate DevOps and reduce toil. Within the Platform Engineering organization, our Developer Platform exists to maximize the impact of Netflix engineers by providing holistic experiences for building and managing software through the entire lifecycle of development, delivery, operations, and maintenance. Our Developer Platform enables Netflix to scale effectively and evolve rapidly by providing highly reliable, performant, secure, and flexible developer tools, services, and infrastructure to support the expanding needs of the business. Ultimately, we aim for Netflix engineers to spend less time on repetitive engineering tasks, unnecessary complexity, and undifferentiated heavy lifting so they can spend more time helping Netflix entertain the world.
We are looking for technical product managers to drive the next evolution of our developer platform with best-in-class experiences that simplify and accelerate workflows and empower and delight software engineers. We continually strive to manage more for developers so they can innovate more for Netflix.
We are currently hiring for three separate roles in our Developer Platform:
Your mission is to ensure Netflix engineers can easily monitor and explore the health of their systems and rapidly troubleshoot and remediate incidents. You will be responsible for the entire Observability product suite, including end-to-end experiences for monitoring and alerting, debugging and troubleshooting, incident management and remediation, exploration of service topology, visualization of metrics, events, logs, traces (MELT), and profiling & diagnostic tools.
Reliability & Resiliency
Your mission is to help Netflix engineers achieve operational excellence and highly reliable, resilient, and scalable software and systems. You will be responsible for the entire Reliability & Resiliency product suite, including tooling and practices for operational excellence, production readiness, SLIs/SLOs, testing infrastructure and production experimentation, including canaries, shadow traffic, squeeze testing, failure injection testing, chaos testing, and more.
Backend Application Development (JVM Languages)
Your mission is to keep developers in the flow during application development by optimizing the inner dev loop for our JVM ecosystem (Java, Kotlin, Scala). You will be responsible for code authoring, build, test, & debug workflows, including application frameworks (Spring Boot), libraries & dependency management, and build & test systems (Gradle). You will also look holistically at the end-to-end experience through the entire lifecycle from project initialization to ongoing operations and maintenance for backend application developers.
What You Will Do
- Deeply understand and triangulate across customer needs, product analytics, and external industry innovation to drive product vision and strategy for Developer Platform offerings that maximize business and customer impact
- Partner closely with senior management and engineering teams to define and align with stakeholders on vision, strategy, and roadmaps
- Develop product roadmaps in partnership with relevant product and engineering teams that execute on product vision and strategy and inform our engineering teams of what problems need to be solved
- Define how we will measure the success and effectiveness of our products and drive the execution and continuous evaluation of those metrics
- Create strong partnerships with Netflix engineers creating continuous feedback loops that allow us to better understand their problems
- Ensure we are solving the right problems by sourcing input from multiple channels and prioritizing effectively to drive maximum impact for Netflix
- Ensure that our product evolution thoughtfully addresses product lifecycle and adoption/migration experience and provides clear guidance and recommendations to Netflix engineers
- Help evolve Platform Engineering’s customer engagement model, communication strategy, and prioritization and planning/roadmapping practices
What We’re Looking For
- 5+ years of experience as a Technical Product Manager
- Proven track record of managing and evolving a product portfolio and/or driving product vision and strategy
- A healthy blend of deep technical knowledge with customer-focused mindset and empathy
- Demonstrated passion for developer platforms, developer experience, tools, workflows, and/or infrastructure
- Strategic thinker that can connect customer use cases to technology solutions and think holistically about end-to-end experience
- Ability to manage a portfolio of bigger and smaller bets while balancing short-term goals and long-term vision
- Comfortable applying a combination of qualitative and quantitative methods to define success
- Leverages product intuition and judgment to solve problems and make decisions without perfect information
- Insatiable curiosity to learn new domains, keep up with industry innovation, and constantly ask ‘why’
- Excellent communication skills; timely communication with clear expectations
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $100,000 - $700,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
More About Developer Productivity @ Netflix
Backstage in the Wild (podcast)
$100K - $700K USD/Year$100000 — $700000/Year